What Is A Website Audit And Why It’s Important For Your Online Business
If you are an ecommerce business owner, chances are you have some idea of what a website audit is but not the whole picture. A website audit comprehensively analyzes your site’s performance and usability. It can be used to identify areas for improvement, which in turn can help to increase traffic and sales.
Read on to learn the importance of website audits and what to expect from getting one done for your ecommerce site.
What is a Website Audit?
A website audit refers to a detailed analysis of the performance and usability of your ecommerce site. It involves evaluating items such as:
- page loading speed
- navigation structure
- content quality
- mobile optimization
- SEO compatibility
- accessibility standards compliance
A site audit helps identify any issues inhibiting your site from reaching its potential. That way, you can make improvements and ensure that site visitors get the best experience.
Why Should I Have a Website Audit?
Let’s take a deeper look at the importance of conducting website audits.
Identifying issues early on
The sooner you identify any issues with your website, the better.
Website audits allow you to quickly identify issues before they become major ones and start impacting your business. This could be anything from outdated content and broken links to slow page load times and unoptimized SEO.
If you find that your pages are taking too long to load or that navigation is confusing for visitors, then address them immediately. Doing so could increase customer satisfaction and ultimately lead to more conversions.
Improving user experience
Website audits can also help you improve user experience by providing insights into how users interact with your site.
Website audit tools will provide information like:
- which pages are performing well
- what type of content resonates with visitors
- where people are dropping off in the sales funnel
All this data can be used to optimize your website design and content for a better user experience.
Making updates easier
Regular website audits make it easier for you to make updates or changes as needed. This is because when you have identified all the potential issues beforehand, it’s easier to prioritize which ones need to be addressed first. And then plan out how those changes will be implemented over time.
In addition, if something goes wrong during an update or change, having site audits in place will give you the data needed to quickly troubleshoot the issue and get back up and running again in no time.
What Should I Expect from a Website Audit?
Here are the most crucial steps to expect from a website audit process:
Step 1: Assess your website’s performance
The first step in a website audit is assessing your website’s performance. A technical audit includes analyzing the following:
- Page load times – This can be done by using a tool that will provide insights into your web page speed and what elements are slowing it down.
- User experience (UX) – This is also included in an audit checklist, as it affects your site’s usability and ability to convert visitors into customers.
- Accessibility – This should be assessed to ensure that all users have access to the same content regardless of their device or browser type.
Step 2: Evaluate your site’s content
Once your website’s performance has been assessed, it is time to evaluate the content on your site.
Evaluating existing content involves examining each page for relevancy and duplicate content. It also entails ensuring that they contain the right keywords and internal links.
All images will be checked to see if they are properly labeled with alt text so search engines can index them. Links will also be evaluated if they work properly and direct visitors to their destinations.
Lastly, SEOLeverage and other SEO agencies will ensure that all pages are optimized for mobile devices. That way, users will have a seamless experience regardless of their device.
Step 3: Review your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy
An SEO audit ensures that all meta titles, descriptions, header tags, etc., are optimized for search engines and users.
Keyword usage throughout the site will also be assessed. That means ensuring all your website pages contain relevant keywords. But avoid keyword stuffing, as this could negatively affect your search engine ranking.
Additionally, link-building initiatives should be assessed. Any broken or irrelevant links must be replaced or removed accordingly.
At the end of a complete website audit from SEOLeverage or your chosen SEO agency, you will receive the following pertinent information:
- An overall evaluation of the performance and usability of the website
- A detailed audit report outlining any potential issues found
- Recommendations on how these issues can be fixed
- Insights into user behavior on the site
- Suggestions on how key metrics such as conversion rates could be improved
- Recommendations for improving customer experience
- Guidance on what changes need to be made for the website to reach its full potential
- An understanding of current web trends so you know where you stand among competitors
A comprehensive website audit from SEOLeverage allows you room for improvement. It will also help identify growth opportunities. Most importantly, it makes it easier for you to optimize your digital presence.
Effective website auditing ensures website owners have the best chance of succeeding in today’s competitive market.